Thursday, March 07, 2013

Cheaper Almond Butter

So in light of buying almond butter at the store, I've been making mine lately. After looking at the back of jars and realizing that most contain added sugars, which I try to avoid, I was left with the option of either making my own or buying the fresh mixed right from the machine. The one from the machine is about $7.00 per pound. My family goes through a pound like its nothing.

One day while using the machine, I looked at what was in it. It was little chopped of pieces of almonds. I had just visited another health food store on town and saw these! For about $2 less per pound might I add. So I made an oath that the current batch would be my last store made one before I tried it myself.

A while back a friend of our had mentioned that we could make our own and he had even given us a cook book with the way to do it. The next week I did it. I bought the "Almond nibs" or "Almond butter stock" as they are labeled and placed them in The food processor. Its loud, but after a bit I have fresh almond butter. Usually it is consumed immediately, right out if the mixer. Fortunately I can make a small batch, allowing for portion control.

Why am I mentioning this tip now? Honestly, because I just made a batch and mixed it with home made applesauce. It is a super quick and filling breakfast, especially if you are watching your sugar intake.

Also I wanted to mention I do not have a fancy smancy mixer. Ours is 8 yrs. old and was a wedding gift. It does its job well.