Friday, January 19, 2007

Happy Learn to Wipe Your Own Hiney day, week, or month ( I hope not month)



This is a hard month in the Carpio house hold. One of us is learning to be more independent. This is not with out struggle. Our son is fully potty trained and know how to wipe his own hiney.... yet he won't. He would rather mom or dad do it. Lately Easton been able to do more things because he's four. He will be starting some kinda sport some time, and he can now help decide what he want in his lunch for school, plus he can now pick up his own toys (down and up stairs), and ride his scooter to the mail box when we walk . He's tried to use this excuse to get more such as in his own computer, to drive (see i didn't put "learn how to", he not interested in the learning part), and not wear his jacket when it's literally freezing outside. He's wiped his own hiney before, and i hope he does it at school. But he won't do it here. So Carlos and I have said "No More". One because he knows how and just decides not too, and some times Easton Critiques us. I know!! The past week we've been working on this. I believe it may take a month to get him to actually wipe himself correctly. I have to teach all the steps, you wouldn't think there were so many but there is: how to fold the toilet paper, actual pressure needed, how to tell if your done, and how to discard. At first i didn't think all this was necessary, but if i didn't tell him how to properly, he would come back itching. I know eww... So i went and got him some flushable wipes, these where great when he was actually training, he loved them. We had eventually cut him off, i believe this is when the "stand off" slowly began. So i went and got him some, and yesterday when he was calling " I'm done, some one wipe my butt" I was outside the door saying " if you do it, you can use the wipes" and so he said " i can't reach them" so i go in a get one for him, in which he says " see you can do it, you have the wipe." What a trickster. Of course i told him no, and after five minutes waiting for me to come back, he finally did it. Yeah! A small victory, i hope he'll keep on wiping by himself. Hopefully it won't take a full month maybe just a week or two. The picture up top is after the first day of wiping himself.. I was proud, and he was tired, he did wait a while on the potty that day. If you notice he is holding "baby jaguar" and Mr. Frog, He actually holds something every time he sleeps. Usually his body pillow or his dinosaur, how sweet!!