Friday, February 09, 2007

My Little One's Growing

1 Timothy 6: 6-8 :
But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. (NIV)
Ok, seeing that verse as an adult I understand and know I should be happy with what God has blessed me with. Believe me I AM!

Explaining that to a child is different.
Since this past fall, we've really tried to teach Easton about being content with what he has and that what he has is a blessing. This is kind of hard since in fall there's Halloween.... I know what your thinking, "ah, Kay how does that teach him not to be content?" Well I'll explain...around Halloween what do you hear most kids saying besides what their going to be... you hear "I'm gonna get sooo much candy and treats!" I am not saying all children are consumed by this, many know that it's about the fun, But for Easton's little forming self we thought that would be what he got form the 1st experience. Carlos and I knew that this would be Easton's first trick or treating experience outside of church, so we wanted to prepare him. We told him the joy wasn't about the candy but about him spending time with his cousin's, who he stinkin loves, and the candy was just a perk. Easton understood this, and didn't really care about the candy when we got home. I think I still have some in the pantry actually.
Then Christmas rolls around, and after Christmas it's his Birthday. On Christmas, Easton knows it's Jesus birthday and we give to show people Jesus' love for them. It's non-chaotic, and fun shopping and praying about what to get family members. Plus to see how God moves with the pricing of these gifts. No joke we set and budget so we can get most family members something, and what we end up getting them is like 75% off..... that was awesome!
Easton's birthday this year was a little different... previous years we have always done a small cake on his actual birthday with just dad, mom, and E. Then in the middle of January or early February we throw him, a big party with family and friends.... mainly family. Seriously, there's at least 30 people that are just family. Then we invite about 10 friends and so it ends up crazy.
This year was different because Easton's now in Mother's Day out and Cubbies. MDO is two days a week and he has made friends there, at least 10. So I had him a little snack birthday party there, just his class mates...no gifts. Then he had a similar party at cubbies... and that was great too. Both parties with his friends and no gifts, just him and the fun with all the kids.
Normally my side of the family has our Christmas party the day after Christmas, which is also E's birthday. So the week before I begin to tell him that the party is still about Jesus but it just so happens to fall on the same date as his birthday. He does ok with it, I remind him though that his aunts and uncles may get him a gift and a Christmas present on the same day, and that's ok.
So it turns out everyone got him a Christmas present and a Birthday gift, and may I say good job family. So many people would use this as a chance to skip out buying two gift and try to one gift the two occasions, but not you.
Now some may be thinking, "but doesn't that teach him to want more", and the way I see it no. His Birthday and Christmas are two separate holidays..... unfortunately for him they fall so close together. Both are important and he knows Christmas is the bigger one.
Any way that's MDO party, Cubbies Party, Mom and Dad party, and Carlos' mom made him a cake. So 4 Small parties in my book. After all this I was still thinking we could have him his big party... but I felt I should pray more...so I did. I was really trying my best to justify why he should have a super party..but I couldn't. So me and Carlos talked about it and realized that with the 4 parties, Easton got to be with his friends and family just not at the same time. I began to say " I mean yeah, he's had parties with everyone, but I mean one more party couldn't hurt.. could it?".... I was reading the scripture above over and over.... I knew God was saying "stop it sweetie, you say you want to teach him contentment, but right now your showing him to have more and more parties. To him that means more people and more gifts, don't tell him one thing but contradict it with you actions.Your confusing my little one." So we decided not to throw Easton a massive party... I was actually planning him a bigger one then he's ever had. So no big party, I thought explaining that to him would be hard, but nope. God had already stepped in and made his heart receptive. It was so easy.
Periodically I have to clean out Easton's toys because, well he is showered throughout the year with toys. Mainly from some one who sees it and thinks of him and gets it. Plus remember the big family, well each family group gets him something for Christmas and usually his Birthday. As I clean out his toys he tells me we talk about what to do with the toys..... Last summer, when I asked what he thinks we should do with all the toys he doesn't play with he would say "put them back", this year he said "give them to the kids with out toys." When he said that all I could do was smile, you know the kind of smile where your eyes tear up.
The other day we were driving and he said " Mom, the other day my friend came to our house and said I have a lot of Lightning Mc Queen Toys." I said "well yes Easton, most of those you got from family for Christmas and your birthday". Then he replied " I can give some away." I smiled again and said "ok." I thought ok, this guy's really getting it, it's good. I honestly thought he would forget what he said, but lately he's said it more and more. I get all teary every time he says it. HHMMM....Contentment is forming in him.
Growth in God. It's a good thing.