Saturday, December 04, 2010

Advent 2010

I know my own tendency toward materialism, worldliness and idolatry, which Carolyn Mahaney sums up so well here: "Take the Christmas season, for instance. Every holiday I can be drawn to all things Christmassy--the shopping, buying gifts, wrapping presents, decorating the tree, baking holiday treats, attending parties and celebrations. Of course these things are not wrong in and of themselves. They can be delightful gifts from God. But I can be tempted to desire them more than the most important thing--regardless of the season: sitting at the Lord’s feet (Luke 10:38-41). And then I wonder why my heart feels so dull come December 26th."


Is that you, too? Maybe you will say with Carolyn: "This holiday I don’t want my soul stuffed only with decorations, shopping, and Christmas cookies. I want to make every effort to drink deeply of God’s presence so my soul will be truly satisfied."

quote from Gretchen's blog, but i totally agree,


With that being said, here are a few advent ideas. there are a few to go over. different types. Regular advent reading collections & Jesse Tree ideas. We are attempting to do both this year. I know it's a bunch of info, but hope you get some really good info.


Also you can download a copy of Treasuring God in our Traditions here.


Advent:

Gretchen's Idea: Adapted from Desiring God

Hunsucker Family Idea, {close to Gretchen's but shows a picture of Desiring God example}

Duty's Advent calendar

Amazing Mom's Version

Pursuit of Heart and Home Advent Corkboard

Teaching Mom's Advent Reading Day 1-12

Teaching Mom's Advent Reading Day 13-25

24 Ways to Advent: Calendar ideas


Jesse Tree:

Passonate Homemaking Version

Jesse Tree Ornament Patterns

Rocks in My Dryer Ideas

Jesse Tree Ornaments

Simple Mom's Jesse Tree

The Voice: Jesse Tree info & reading List


Hope you enjoy all these ideas!